Woodworking craft is one of the top industries with a steep learning curve. With woodworking, just like every other trades, learning never stops. As a woodworker, getting yourself acquainted with various woodworking books will help you obtain more woodworking expertise and reduce your woodworking learning curve. As a result of this progressive learning, you will be able to save yourself some valuable time that you could have spent on struggling with some woodworking projects because of your pre-acquired expertise. Note that reading a very good woodworking book is one of the best ways to acquire knowledge and gather experience from other woodworking legends.
However, woodworking can be a challenging skill to acquire and master for many beginners. In recent times, time constraint has made it a bit more challenging for woodworking masters to disseminate useful woodworking guide to their apprentices at various woodworking workshops. So, a woodworker must not solely depend on learning a craft from a master but learning via quality woodworking books and tutorial videos.
Dwelling on quality woodworking books will educate you and improve your knowledge and understanding of woodworking tools, equipment, workshop features, and many woodworking skills. Furthermore, you will learn to understand the importance of certain woodworking activities, such as joining, wood selection, and how to start your woodworking business, the branding and marketing strategies that you need to make the business successful.
However, selecting a quality woodworking book can be tiresome. This is because of the numerous amounts of woodworking books out there in the market. There are various books, some focusing on hand tools, and some on power tools, while some focus on modern woodworking techniques. In place of this, we have compiled a list of our top 10 best woodworking books, their pros, and cons, and a sneak peek of what each book has to offer. So, without beating around the bush, here a list of our top 10 best woodworking books;
– Great Book of Woodworking Projects by Randy Johnson
– Great Book of Woodworking Tips by Randy Johnson
– The Joint Book: The Complete Guide Start Woodworking
– I Can Do That! Woodworking Project Book
– The Complete Manual of Woodworking by Albert Jackson
– Woodworking Basics: Best Woodworking Book for Beginners
– The Big Book of Weekend Woodworking by John Nelson
– The Complete Book of Woodworking: Step-By-Step Guide to Develop Skills and Techniques
– Woodworking 101- Skill-Building Projects
– Woodworking for Dummies by Jeff Strong
Reviews of the 10 best woodworking books
Great Book of Woodworking Projects by Randy Johnson
This book comes with a lot of amazing projects perfect for both beginners and expert woodworkers. This book details the plans and instructions needed to create 50 amazing woodworking projects that will beautify your home’s interior and exterior. Furthermore, the Great Book of Woodworking Projects is bombarded with many illustrations and great ideas. However, a little downside to this book is that grasping some projects’ ideas can be challenging because the author’s idea on such projects was not clear enough for any woodworker to understand. Lastly, this book is highly recommended for woodworkers specializing in the use of power tools rather than hand tools.
- The book is bombarded with projects and instructions
- It is an excellent book that can serve all levels of woodworker (novice and experts)
- It has a lot of information about tools and their uses as well as detail wood information
- This book will give you many tips and tricks to make your woodworking project easier.
- The diagrams in this book are not sufficient enough
- Most of the tricks and tips are found in the net
Great Book of Woodworking Tips by Randy Johnson
Unlike the previous book, the Great Book of Woodworking Tips is suited for both power tools and hand tool woodworkers. As the name suggests, this book is fully loaded with various tips and tricks and so many woodworking projects. This book is well suited for all types of woodworkers, using hand tools and power tools. A lot of woodworking skills are revealed in this book. But its greatest advantage is the numerous amounts of tips and tricks found in this book.
Also, the pictures and illustrations in this book depict the accurate way of handling various woodworking projects from scratch. Lastly, this book’s woodworking wisdom is gotten from a lifetime of experienced woodworkers, who were willing to impact their woodworking experience into you. However, we best recommend this book for mid-level woodworkers.
- This book possesses a lot of ideas
- Beginners can take full advantage of this book
- Numerous techniques are illustrated in this book
- It contains much basic information and instruction on woodworking
- It has a lot of pictures and illustrations
- It is redundant to top-level woodworkers.
The Joint Book: The Complete Guide Start Woodworking
This book contains many references, photographs, diagrams, and illustrations that will aid both beginner and expert woodworkers’ learning process. This book contains woodworking instructions written step-by-step so that readers can easily understand the various woodworking projects highlighted in the book. Furthermore, the Joint Book gives adequate information, tips, and techniques on various joints such as the mortise joints, Tenon joints, box joints, scarf joints, lapped joints, dowel, and biscuit joints.
One exciting feature to look out for in this book is the inclusion of mathematical formulas and tips that will make it easier to calculate each cut’s correct angles. Note that all the book and hardcover pages are glossy with a spiral binding to make sure it lasts for years. It also contains many pictures and illustrations that enhance the information on various joints discussed in this book.
Lastly, if you look forward to improving your furniture building skills, The Joint Book might be what you need to dwell on.
- It contains many interesting projects
- The tricks and techniques in this book are nicely described
- Also, it contains many basic information and resources
- It contains many beautiful pictures and woodworking illustrations
- It is great for beginners and novices
- It contains too many basics, therefore, making it redundant for expert woodworkers
- Some of the projects are difficult to understand
I Can Do That! Woodworking Project Book
This book- I Can Do That! Woodworking Project is divided into three sections wit 13 chapters. These chapters give detailed information on woodworking planning and techniques with the first section devoted to tools. The second section talks more about techniques while the third section talks on materials and hardware. The tools section describes the measuring, boring, joining, and fastening tools such as the measuring tape, combination square, miter saw, jigsaw, circular saw, power drill, file, hammer, biscuit joiner, and so much more. In the second section, ripping, layout, and egg crate shelves were described nicely. Furthermore, the third section describes the piano hinge and selecting lumber.
Also, this book contains a lot of woodworking plans. However, the plans contained in this book are more basic compared to the plans contained in other woodworking books. This is because the author chose a low method of properly teaching various techniques of using tools with so many tricks. Everything you need to know about your woodworking tools (power tools and hand tools) are contained in this book. Furthermore, this book is an amazing guide to woodworking materials and techniques.
- It contains many interesting projects
- It contains many tricks and tips
- It contains many woodworking ideas
- It is a woodworking book suited for all levels of woodworking
- It contains a lot of references and resources
- The book contains little graphics that aren’t well detailed.
The Complete Manual of Woodworking by Albert Jackson
This book covers almost all areas of woodworking and also providing many references. The first chapter describes the origin of wood gotten from different trees. How they are grown, how they are harvested and seasoned. The next chapter talks about various furniture designs and wood characteristics. In this chapter, the construction of tables, chairs, and the various style and designs needed in their construction is perfectly discussed in this book.
The complete manual of woodworking is a book that illustrates numerous amazing woodworking projects for beginners and expert woodworkers. An amazing feature of this book is that it provides solutions to almost any woodworking problems you may have, regardless of your expertise. Furthermore, this book contains sections that properly discuss practical woodworking activities such as clamping, drilling, gluing, and routing.
- It is an amazing book with numerous references
- It suits all levels of woodworking
- It contains many interesting and cool woodworking projects
- It is undauntedly full of useful resources
- Also, it contains many woodworking tips and tricks
- The book contains too many basics.
Woodworking Basics: Best Woodworking Book for Beginners
This is a simple and easy to understand woodworking book that discusses the various concept of basic woodworking skills and furniture craftsmanship. Also, this book contains various useful information about woodworking tools, cutting, and dovetails. In this book, the author explicitly describes two projects- building a bench and a cabinet. This is because benches are known as the most popular rustic wood, and log furniture and the cabinets are essential for storing small household goods.
This book is one of the best woodworking guides from beginner woodworkers, and this is a result of the author’s brief explanation of each project and tool. Also, the small projects discussed in this book are very interesting for beginners, and the proper usage of various woodworking tools are well discussed in this book. The book, Woodworking Basics is designed to be a two weeks course on the fundamentals of woodworking. Lastly, this book has an amazing ricing as it is affordable for both professional and hobbyist woodworkers.
- The book is full of woodworking resources and information
- Many woodworking techniques are detailed in this book
- It contains many graphical illustrations
- It is perfect for a novice woodworker
- Some of the projects explained in this book are hard to understand
The Big Book of Weekend Woodworking by John Nelson
John Nelson takes time to fill this book with very basic ideas easily understood by a woodworker. Also, he detailed many woodworking projects for both beginners and expert woodworkers. Many ideas and projects, supported by beautiful graphical illustrations, have been detailed in this book with most of the projects having a detailed list of materials, dimensions, cutting, and installation steps.
- It comes with a lot of information on tools name, usage, and quality
- It is well-suited for all levels of woodworking
- The book is full of woodworking resources
- It contains many woodworking tricks and techniques
- The book is affordable
- It is redundant to expert woodworkers.
The Complete Book of Woodworking: Step-By-Step Guide to Develop Skills and Techniques
This book contains excellent pieces of information and resources regarding woodworking techniques. The book contains about 40 amazing projects that woodworkers of all levels can greatly benefit from. Also, the author gives a detailed plan for home furniture and accessories. Furthermore, this book covers all you need to know about setting up a woodworking workshop. The different types of wood cutting squaring and many more are discussed in this book. Lastly, this book comes with amazing pictures and illustrations that shed more light on the writer’s woodworking ideas.
- It contains lots of pictures and illustrations
- It contains many easy-to-understand instructions
- It is a book for beginners and novices
- Quite a large number of projects are described in this book
- this book contains some hard-to-do projects
Woodworking 101- Skill-Building Projects
This is a beginner woodworking book. It contains photos, illustrations, and drawings that accurately depict the ideas stated in this book. Also, this book contains step-by-step instructions on many woodworking projects. The interesting thing about woodworking 101 is that the author collected various useful materials from different books and compiled them into one volume. The book aims at gradual and progressive building and development of beginner woodworkers. This book can guide you as a novice, especially if you aim to be transformed into an expert woodworker.
- It contains valuable information and resources
- It contains guidelines on how to use and handle woodworking tools properly
- It contains a lot of tricks and tips
- It is beneficial for woodworkers at all level
- It contains a lot of graphical illustrations
- It contains long projects that can become bore beginner woodworkers
- It contains too many basics
Woodworking for Dummies by Jeff Strong
Woodworking for dummies is another beginner-friendly woodworking book. This book provides a piece of in-depth knowledge of different types of woods, the characteristics of soft and hardwoods. It also details a lot of useful information on selecting the proper tools for the right projects, buying the tools, what tools to buy first, proper maintenance of these tools, and so on. Woodworking for dummies contains the basic information needed by a novice woodworker to develop their craftsmanship.
- It possesses a lot of pictures and illustrations
- It contains a lot of beginner-friendly ideas
- It contains detailed woodworking techniques
- It contains too many basics
- Some of the projects are difficult to understand
What to Look for in a Woodworking Book?
- Check the date of publication
- Read the reviews on the book
- Consider your specific need.